Dermal Fillers & Injections | Harrisburg, PA
Spider Veins Treatment near Harrisburg PA
Want to erase your spider veins? Our Camp Hill Aesthetics Med Spa can help with our spider vein treatment therapy.
Sclerotherapy is a popular method of eliminating superficial telangiectasias (“spider veins”) and reticular veins (“feeder veins”) in which a solution, called a sclerosing agent, is injected into the veins.
The injection causes sclerosis or the formation of fibrous tissue (clotting) in the vessel subsequent to an inflammatory reaction. This process causes a gradual fading of the treated vessel over a period of several weeks to several months.
DOES SCLEROTHERAPY WORK FOR EVERYONE?
Most people treated will have good results, however, there is no guarantee that sclerotherapy will be effective in every case. Approximately 10% of patients who undergo sclerotherapy have poor to fair results. (“Poor results” means that the veins have not totally disappeared after six treatments.) In very rare instances, the patient’s condition may become worse after sclerotherapy treatment. I also understand the sclerosing solution being used is FDA approved.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS WILL I NEED?
The number of treatments differs from patient to patient, depending on the extent of spider veins present. One to six or more treatments may be needed; the average is three to four. Individual veins usually require one to three treatments.
SCLEROTHERAPY POST- TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
We want your Sclerotherapy treatment to be as successful as possible. It is for this reason, we recommend several measures to assure we attain optimal results.
AFTER YOUR TREATMENT
- Immediately after the procedure, you may be required to put on support hose and walk for 10-30 minutes. Be sure to have loose-fitting slacks/skirt and comfortable walking shoes with you. 3-7 days of compression shows better results than no compression at all. Please consider 40-50mmHg compression, 10-20mmHg is better than nothing. Can purchase from drug store.
- Maintain normal activities. Exercise is an important part of the healing process. You are encouraged to walk as much as possible and avoid standing in a single position for prolonged periods of time. A 20 minute walk or bike ride twice a day is best for the healing process. However, avoiding strenuous physical activities such as high-impact aerobics, running, weight lifting, for the first 48-72 hours following your treatment is recommended.
- You may experience slight discomfort such as aching or throbbing for the first day or two after your initial treatment. Walking will help to dissipate this sensation. We prefer you avoid blood-thinning medications, such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil Anaprox, Vioxx, etc. for 24-48 hours following your treatment (you may take Tylenol). However if in the case of continued discomfort, Ibuprofen (Advil or Alleve) may be taken with food if you do not have sensitivity to these medications.
- Taped compression pads/cotton balls may be gently removed two to twenty-four hours after your sclerotherapy procedure (your sclerotherapist will discuss the exact time with you). If you notice a developing redness or rash (this may be a sensitivity to the tape) remove tape and put on some support stockings.** We recommend that you sleep with your support hose for the first night and then wear them during the day for approximately one week.
- The vessels may appear to turn dark in color and/or be slightly tender. This could be an entrapment of blood in the closed vessels, a normal response to the procedure, and may clear on its own or will be evacuated at the time of the next treatment session if necessary. Bruising may occur especially after the first treatment. Do not be alarmed, this is a normal process.
- Avoid long “hot” baths and showers and saunas for 1-2 weeks following your treatment. It is also a good idea to cool your legs with cold water after each bath or shower.
- Avoid Sunbathing and Ultraviolet Exposure for at least 7-10 days following your treatment. Treated areas may become tender and more likely to burn, and the possibility of an increased risk of hyperpigmention.
- Avoid swimming in chlorinated pools for 48 hours following your treatment.
- Should you experience any redness or a small lump, use warm compresses several times a day and as often as possible. If you experience any open areas (s) you may use Polysporin Ointment (NOT Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment) to the affected area.
- You may apply lotion and creams 24-48 hours post treatment.
It is important to remember that it has taken years for these veins to develop, and they will not disappear overnight. It may take 10 days-2 weeks and sometimes longer for the vessels to clear (fading and lightening of your spider veins). Please be patient and allow time for the healing process to occur. Always bring a pair of shorts to wear during your treatment session.
Book your Harrisburg injections with Holly now. Our Med Spa is located right outside of Harrisburg, in Camp Hill, PA.